Here are a few resources and links to common certifications and permits that are commonly required to sell food or produce at a farmer’s market in Texas. You should always verify with your local regulatory office to make sure you obtain all the correct licensing and permits.

Food Handlers License

Required for anyone preparing and selling food. This is a short and inexpensive class, available online.

Food Manufacturer’s License

This license is required of anyone who packages food to be sold rather than preparing foods to be eaten on-site. This license is obtained through the state.

Temporary Food Permit

This permit is required for anyone who is preparing food to be consumed on site. Provided through the city of Houston.

National Organic Program

The National Organic Program (NOP) develops the rules & regulations for the production, handling, labeling, and enforcement of all USDA organic products. The NOP also maintains a Handbook that includes guidance, instructions, policy memos, and other documents that communicate the organic standards.

Texas Department of State Health Services FAQ

Common questions regarding the producing, preparing and selling food for the public.

Texas Cottage Law

Many foods fall under the Texas Cottage Law and don’t have to be prepared in a commercial kitchen. This site helps you determine if your product falls under this law.

Organic Certification

Organic certification department, Texas Department of Agriculture

Know of other useful resources that belong here? Let us know!